LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.03.05 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 6 00:48:34 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.MAR.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Dear Lowlanders,

We are now into the last month before the 10th anniversary project site will
be unveiled to the List, two weeks later then the public. If you have not
yet helped, "pretty please," consider doing so.

We need more translations of the wren story in Lowlands varieties and any
other language, possibly with sound files. The old site
(http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/ls-story.html) is not up-to-date.
We have several additions now, such as more Low Saxon, English and Scots,
also Chinese (Mandarin and Classical), Maori, Quechua, Guaraní. Apart from a
lot of Lowlands variety speakers and writers, we have on the List speakers
and writers of many languages that are not yet represented, e.g., Arabic (a
good number of people), Balochi, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Cantonese,
Dzongkha, Farsi (Persian, a good number of people), Gaelic, Gujarati, Hebrew
(several people), Hindi (several people), Hungarian, Irish, Kannada,
Marathi, Moldavian, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Punjabi, Romanian, Sindhi
(several people), Sinhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Tamil, Telugu, Tibetan,
Turkish (several people) and Urdu (several people). Most of the subscribers
that know these languages are "lurkers;" they belong to the silent majority.
If they want to contribute a translation, they may remain anonymous if they
wish. They just need to tell me so, and we'll post their translations as
having anonymous authors. In actual fact, if they send it to me personally I
would be the only one to know (and I know of their presence anyway, keeping
it completely confidential).

We could also do with a few more personal introductions, and this includes a
good number of you who otherwise are quite verbal on the List. Please send
them to me (sassisch at yahoo.com), just a paragraph or more in any language,
with a picture if possible. Just write about yourself whatever feels
comfortable and important to you, and say a couple of words about yourself
in relation to Lowlands-L. A couple of people have told me they did not know
what to write because they have not yet seen other people's introductions.
You really do not see other people's intros, and I don't want yours to come
from a cookie-cutter template, want them to be as individualistic as
possible. You can consult me (sassisch at yahoo.com), may run your draft by me
in case you are in fear of making fools of yourself. It is also all right to
be anonymous and still write an introduction. We would just use your given
(first) name or even a fictional name, and the city or general region and
country in which you live. Yes, this includes those of you that are
well-known academics, writers, journalists and performers; I would do my
utmost to safeguard your anonymity.

Thank you in anticipation.