LL-L "Literature" 2005.03.05 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 6 01:32:34 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.MAR.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Re: http://sassisch.net/morbheanna.htm

Dear Lowlanders,

A message of mine of yesterday appears to have gotting buried under the
back-and-worth of Cornish. Who could blame you for not digging down that
low.

***

I have translated into Low Saxon (Low German) the lovely and beloved
Scottish Gaelic song _Mórbheanna_.  It might make it into next year's
_Soltauer Schriften_ (published by the Freudenthal Society
<http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/freudenthal2.htm>) which will have
a bit of a Scottish theme started by submission of my translation of Robert
Burn's Scots work _Tam O' Shanter_ (http://www.sassisch.net/shanter.htm)
which will appear in both languages with a brief introduction to Scots.  If
there is still room in that issue it would be nice to have this little extra
Scotophile gesture from the Continental Lowlands to the Insular Lowlands
extended to our Highland brethren.

Anyway, I translated the song -- the long version rather than the usual
abbreviated one -- in a singable form but fairly closely to the original.
This includes translating _mórbheanna_ as "great/giant/tall mountains"
rather than the usual English "mist covered mountains" (which I think ought
to be "mist-covered mountains").

I invite you to review my translation and possibly give me some feedback
before I send it to Germany next week.  You will find a copy below.  For a
little while I'm posting a jazzed-up version with AS transliteration here:

http://sassisch.net/morbheanna.htm

You can rest your cursors on any Low Saxon word (without clicking) to see
the German and English glosses.  Also, I have made a midi file of the music.
You can play it if you click on the link top left.

Anyway, your comments would be most appreciated, folks!

***

If you can't help with either the Low Saxon or the Gaelic but are learning
them or are interested in them, you might be interested in visiting the page
anyway, since the vocabulary aid will help. Or you might just like Celtic
music and want to hear the sound file.

Thanks,