LL-L "Onomastica" 2005.03.06 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 6 21:01:29 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.MAR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Onomastica" 2005.03.05 (02) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>Loham, Lohaus, Lohbach, Lohbarbek, Lohbeck, Lohbruck, Lohbrügge,
Lohbrücke, Lohe, Löhe, Lohfelden, Lohkirchen, Lohklind, Lohklind,<

What is the 'Loh' here supposed to derive from?

re 'ley / ly'  meaning a clearing - not necessarily IN the forest but round
the forest edges.  It could also mean a glade in a forest but just as
easily -  an area cleared at the edge of a forest / wood.

As arable land was made out of wood/forest , the settlements attached named
themselves  Such and Such - ley  i.e. having cleared virgin forest - And as
we are encircled by villages whose names end in 'ley' it has been suggested
that  this MIGHT indicate that we were the centre that was only cleared
later [ Our village is first listed in 1089-91 after Doomsday]

I am v v interested in your Flemish 'lekbron' being used as a border, as
this is what I am suggesting happened here too. Only I was thinking that
the connnection was to Lachbaum / Lachstein  << lachen = to score , to cut
, to mark  i.e. marking a tree that forms a boundary by scoring the bark
with a sign or pattern. I was thinking that perhaps the idea might then
have developed into meaning  a boundary marker of whatever sort: so a
Lachbrunnen = a boundary spring / stream.

Could not lek- be derived from  German 'Lach-' ? And mean just this?
Lachborn  in German   Lagbrunna/ Lacbrunna in A/Saxon   'lekbron' in
Flemish ?

Heather

----------

From: Jan Neelen-Keppenne <neelen.keppenne at skynet.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.03.03 (09) [E/German]

Tongerlo is afgeleid van de Germaanse volksstam, de Tungeren (Latijn :
Tungri) die Het gebied van de Eburonen bevolkten nadat deze stam door
de Romeinen was uitgeroeid. Zij schonken hun naam aan de stad Tongeren
en aan twee dorpen met de naam Tongerlo.

Jan Neelen

----------

From: klaus schmirler <KSchmir at online.de>

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

> Subject: Onomastica
>
> Place name examples in Britain:
>   Keighley,

Since that name now has actually come up: Could somebody please tell me
about its pronunciation?

I suspect my memory is playing tricks on me.

klaus schmirler

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Onomastica

Heather (above):

> >Loham, Lohaus, Lohbach, Lohbarbek, Lohbeck, Lohbruck, Lohbrügge,
> Lohbrücke, Lohe, Löhe, Lohfelden, Lohkirchen, Lohklind, Lohklind,<
>
> What is the 'Loh' here supposed to derive from?

> Old (High) German: lôh 'glade' (e.g., MG _Lohe_ 'blaze', 'flame')
> Old Saxon: lôga 'blaze* vs lôh (~ lâ(h)?) 'glade'Old Frisian: loga 'blaze
> Old English: > lîeg 'blaze'* vs lêah 'glade'Old Norse: leygr, logi 'blaze'
> < Germanic: > laugi(z) 'blaze' vs lauha(z) 'glade'
> < Indo-European: leuk- 'to shine', 'to blaze', 'to flicker'

> * not to be confused with _lôch_ ~ _lôg_ '(meeting)
>  place' (c.f., OG luog,OE lôg, Lat. locus 'place', Sanskrit लोक _loka_
> 'earthly place' > 'world'etc. < IE _legh-_ 'to lie down' (refl.), 'to
> settle', 'to situate oneself')

It and all the variants in my list are cognates of English _ley_ etc.,
namely "glade" etc.

Please submit postings to lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org.* Postings
will be displayed unedited in digest form.* Please display only the relevant
parts of quotes in your replies.* Commands for automated functions
(including "signoff lowlands-l") are  to be sent to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or at