LL-L "Etymology" 2005.03.06 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 7 06:28:12 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.MAR.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.03.06 (07) [E]

Ron asked is Rysig has the same etymology as Reiziger.
The answer is yes and no.
In Dutch there are two verbs
1. Reizen, reisde, gereisd meaning to travel.(weak, verb intr.)
That is the direct source of the last name of your traveling soccer?
hero.
2. Rijzen, rees, gerezen. This is what a yeast dough does when you put
in in a warm place (strong, verb intr.) I would not put it past the old
Germanic tribes to use the same IE principle twice.
To raise the flag (verb trans ) would be: de vlag uitsteken in Dutch
To raise the rent ( woe is me ) would be: de huur verhogen
To raise your arms in the air would be :  je armen in de lucht steken
To raise a bid in bridge would be: hoger bieden
To raise something that had fallen down would be: iets rechtop zetten
To raise Cain would be: herrie schoppen or de boel op stelten zetten.
(just to mention a few)
Jacqueline

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hoi, Jacqueline!

It was our Críostóir whose question you answered.  All the same, I found
your answer interesting, as others will do, to be sure.

Take care!

Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are  to be
sent to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or at