LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.07 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 7 19:17:52 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.MAR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.05 (05) [E]

Roger wrote: "I concluded that there is an enormous amount of uncertainty as
regards the Simple Past Tense."
Something similar is true for some words in American English.  For example,
"swim."  We cannot or will not say "I have swum in Lake Travis many times."
It just sounds so weird that it sounds wrong!  Even though it's not.  We get
around it by saying something like "I have been swimming in Lake Travis many
times" or "I went swimming in Lake Travis many times."  I don't believe I've
ever hear anyone say "have swum" voluntarily.  You have to trick them into
saying it.  There's a similar (although not the same) confusion about
"drink."  To our ear "have drunk" just sounds odd.  You'll often hear "I
have drank" instead, or just "I drank" with no present perfect.  People will
use "have drank" without having to be forced into it, whereas with "have
swum" they just won't.

Mark Brooks