LL-L "Phonology" 2005.03.08 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 9 00:27:03 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.MAR.2005 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Onomastica

Hi Heather, Ron and all

Ron, you wrote:
"Then, still occurring in more recent times, there is dialectal or
idiolectal replacement of /T/
by /f/ and /D/ by /v/ (e.g., "both" as "bofe", "the" as "ve", "rather" as
"rahver", and "through" as "frough")."

I've never heard 've' for 'the' - Initial voiced 'th' has actually lost it's
fricative feel, but initially
it's still dental (or possibly substituted with 'd', but not 'v'). In the
middle of a word it has the usual
fricative feel and it's here that it caqn be substituted with 'v'.

Heather, you wrote regarding to use of this feature:
"This is now known as Estuary English  i.e. spoken from the East End of
London ( Cockneys) to the Essex coast."

I would say it's more of a Cockney feature than an Estuary feature - there
is a difference! Estuary tends to be a kind of halfway accent between
Cockney and RP. There are a number of Cockney features which are generally
seen as Estuary, such as l-vocalisation (making them sound like 'w' after
vowels), and t-glottalling when the t is word final - giving <bu'> instead
of <but>, however features such as t-glottalling when it's between two
vowels, giving <bu'er> instead of <butter> or the use of f and v for th are
very much more in the Cockney range, being 'frowned upon' and 'corrected'
within Estuary speaking areas.

However saying that, the feature turning th into f and v is spreading
throughout England and has been recorded in London, Colchester, Reading,
Milton Keynes, Norwich, The Fens, Derby, Birmingham, Hull, Sheffield,
Middlesborough and Newcastle, (however not yet in Liverpool!!) so I wouldn't
be at all surprised if it doesn't become more accepted within Estuary.

Also Ron, you mentioned briefly about r being pronounced as w (or rather
Sampa /P/ - it's still
different from w - red and wed are not identical!). This is also spreading
in England - and this is an
accepted part of Estuary (being a feature of my own English)- and has been
recorded in London, Colchester, Reading, Milton Keynes, Norwich, The Fens,
Derby, Hull, Middlesborough and Newcastle, with it creeping into Liverpool
and Birmingham (although there was no data from Sheffield for this feature).

(I got the info from David Britain, 2002, 'Phoenix from the ashes?: The
death, contact and birth of
dialects in England', Essex Research Reports in Linguistics 41:42-73 - also
available on the internet at www.essex.ac.uk/linguistics/papers/errl-41b.pdf
in case anyone's interested)

Gary