LL-L "Etymology" 2005.03.09 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 9 18:33:09 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.MAR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.03.07 (05) [E]

Dear Crìostòir,

Subject: Etymology

Simple, my dear Watson! He was an irrigation farmer. This was so singular a
craft among his own Grikwa people that he got a name for it. Andries
Waterboer dug wells & built a dam & wiers cut irrigation canals & furrows &
built watergates just like a Dietsman! Of course he came to be a man of
authority in his community.

> and whether similarly "strange" surnames occur amongst so-called Coloureds
> in South Africa and Namibia. (I am thinking here of the surname
_Waterboer_
> which I analyse as _water farmer_ and can't make sense of.)

As for typical 'Cape Coloured' names: There are not in the main singular
surnames, & it is not a safe bet to try to profile for Hottentot blood on
the basis of surnames.

However there are in the Cape the 'Slamaaiers (Islamaiers) decendants of
political prisoners & exiles from the Batavia Kolonie. Not unpredictably,
they are no less racially proud than other South Africans, so it would not
be advisable to reckon them among those of 'mixed blood'. These have
distinctively Muslim names & surnames now more reflective of their closer
relations with Saudia Arabia than Malasia, from which they are long
estranged. Eg. Hadji Hassan Abdulla, alternatively, Karel; Imam Ahmat Gamja;
Ederoos Isaaks; Abubakar Dantie. Anyhow, these reflect their Culture &
Religous persuasion, only peripherally their racial origins. However, on the
other hand, their names are distinctive of their community.

Yrs,
Mark