LL-L "Phonology" 2005.03.09 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 9 22:17:24 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.MAR.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.03.09 (04) [E]

Hi all,
Gary wrote, (according to Críostóir),
"I've never heard 've' for 'the' - Initial voiced 'th' has actually lost its
fricative feel".
Perhaps not exactly related, but this form is sometimes evident
amongst certain Afrikaans speakers who have not quite mastered
the pronunciation of "th" . (The phenomenon is not to be confused
with being uneducated.)

Example: There is a problem wiv ve pumping mechanism in one of ve vertical
shafts.

Cheerio,
Elsie