LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.03.09 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 9 22:18:28 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.MAR.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Idiomatica" [E]

> From: sam s claire <gamlhs at juno.com>
>
> Lowlanders: I'm interested in seeing some forms in other Germanic
> languages which are usually reserved for poetry and some musical lyric.
> Are there some words that are modified or abridged as in English:
> oer/over, neer/never (ne'er/never a), 'tis/it is, oer/over, etc.? As
> well, there others that may be in current usage though probably
> provincial such as: nys/none is (is not),  nad/had not, etc.  Thanks,
> Sid

For Scots, this would be difficult to decide.

When we talk about "'tis" &c being "reserved for poetry" this is a
reflection of the fact that in English there's vocabulary that's considered
standard and vocabulary that's considered "poetic".

However, this poetic vocabulary does originate in older English dialects.
For example, "'tis" is an English West Country form and is still heard in
the South West even amongst quite young speakers of quite standard English
there.

But Scots is still spoken mainly in dialectical form, so there's not such a
clear distinction between poetic forms and everyday speech. At best, if a
word is considered archaic then it will only be likely to be seen in poetry
(since most written Scots traditionally _is_ poetry), but this would mean
it's just archaic even if it tends to come across as poetic to us these
days.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/