LL-L "Phonology" 2005.03.09 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 10 00:14:54 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.MAR.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.03.08 (11) [E]

Yes, in Low Saxon, German and Dutch final voiced stops are pronounced
voiceless: -b>-p, -d>-t, -g>-ch.
But that was not the case in Old Norse/Old Danish, there these were
pronounced voiced.
So, when Old Danish p/k/t > b/g/d, the old b/g/d had to move to bh/gh/dh,
to avoid coinceding with the new voiced stops. In this respect, there was
no difference between intervocal and wordfinal consonants, because the
were already pronounce the same in these positions. Later on, the whole
process was repeated once again, so now the 'new' b/g/d have also become
bh/gh/dh, although they are still written as b/g/d, pronunciation tends to
vocalize them, like 'peber' ["peuQ] pepper, where we see [w] < p.
Note also: s[b]ise = spise, to eat, s[d]ød = stød, s[g]ib = skib, ship
etc.

Southern Jutish has these developments too, or even "worse", but I think
our friend Kenneth could tell us all about that, if he'd have the time for
it ;-)

What I said about the possible Low Saxon origin: I mean that the Jutes
copied the voicing of stops, but it worked out more rigorously because
they pronounced those stops as voiced in more positions.

In fact, these Danish consonant developments are quite similar to those of
French, I noticed...
So it may well be a autonomous, natural development as well which took
place in different languages. In French one could suspect Gaulish Celtic
substrate influence, but in Hymbria?

Ingmar

>Gary Taylor wrote:

>Ingmar stated:
> My own theory is in fact that these changes started outside
>Denmark, in Northern Low Saxon, with the devoicing of
>intervocal stops -p-, -k-, -t- > -b-, -g-, -d-. In Groningen Low Saxon we
>see the same tendency. Further developments in Danish were then: -b-
> -bh-, -g- > gh-, -d- > -dh- etc etc"

>>Gary replied:
>I've always wondered about this myself, why Danish p, t, k changed to b,
d,g. In the middle of a word it's quite a natural process, Spanish had it
in its history too, for example - but it doesn't go to explaining why these

----------

From: Roger Hondshoven <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.03.09 (04) [E]

Hi Ron,

I would like to add two other x-words: in Dutch there is, next to 'ruw',
also 'ruig'. In East-Brabant they say 'teeg' instead of 'taai'.

Best regards,

Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Thanks for all the additions to the collection, folks.  Of course, there are
tons more, not to forget this one, for 'behind' and 'after':

Dutch/Afrikaans: achter [...xt...] < OLowFranc: after [...ft...]
LowSax: achter [...xt...] < OSax: aftar [...ft...]
(ModGerm: After [...ft...] 'anus' < OGerm: after)
WFries: efter [...ft...] < OFries: efter [...ft...]
Scots: efter [...ft...] < OEngl: æfter [...ft...]
Engl: aft(er) [...ft...] < OEngl: æft(er) [...ft...]
ModScand: efter [...ft...] > etter [...t:...]
ModIcel: aft... [...ft...] < ONorse: apt- ~ ept- [...pt...]
Gothic: afar [...f...]
Germanic: *after, *afta [...ft...]
Indo-European: *apero- [...p...]

So in this case we can say that /after/ > /axter/ is specific to the Low
German branch (Dutch, Afrikaans, Low Saxon, etc.).