LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.03.10 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 10 15:34:49 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.03.09 (02) [E]

Yes, Marco is right. I meant Skepi (Essequibo)in stead of Berbice Dutch.
And Skepi was the one with all the Igbo vocabulary, I think that's a
language from Nigeria. As you know the Virgin Island Creole of that former
Danish (!) Caribbean Colony is called Negerhollands = Negro Dutch. The old
names for Sranan Tongo are Neger-engels = Negro English, or Takitaki "talk-
talk". Y'e taki Sranan = do you speak ST?
Papiamentu is the Spanish/Portuguese based Creole of the Dutch Antilles
Curaçao, Aruba and Bonaire, and that mean "talking", from papia = to
speak/talk. Bo ta papia Papiamento - do you speak Papiamento?

Maybe Marco can ask one of his ST-speaking friends for a Wren translation
in that Creole? Ron asked me before but I can't think of anyone anymore
who could do that properly...

Btw, what are the Zeeland dialectical features in Skepi and Berbice Dutch?
I've seen Negerhollands texts but the other two I don't recall so very
clearly...
I know that many people from Zeeland -including my own mother- use to say
that Afrikaans is so much like Zeelandic too, maybe because both share the
pronoun 'ons' = D. wij = E. we? THE Zeelandic shibboleth is:
ons Zeeuwen, ons ben zunig,  D. wij Zeeuwen, wij zijn zuinig, A. ons
Seelanders, ons is suinig (?) = lit. Us Zeelanders, we are thrifty
Although many (most)Zeeland dialects don't even use 'ons' in that way, but
something like 'me', 'wulder' etc.

Actually Afrikaans is closer to (older) South Holland dialects, especially
those from around Dordrecht, as Kloeke proved in Herkomst en Groei van het
Afrikaans than to Zeelandic.

mee de hroeten van Ingmar Roerdinkholder

Marco Evenhuis bin skrefi:

>Ingmar stated:
>
>> There is (was) another Creole language, Berbice Dutch, in Surinames
>neighboring country (former British) Guyana that was based on
>> Dutch but had kept a lot of words in it from one African language, Igbo.
>
>Actually, there were two so called Dutch Creole languages in Guyana:
Berbice