LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.03.10 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 10 15:39:55 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Reuben Epp <reuben at silk.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.03.08 (06) [E]

Reuben Epp, reuben at silk.net replies

> From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
> Subject: "Idiomatica" [E]
>
>> From: Ben Bloomgren <ben.bloomgren at asu.edu>
>> Subject: make or take
>>
>> Hello, all, I had a question that has always puzzled me. Why do Americans
>> say that we make a decision while it appears that everybody else takes
> one.
>> To me, to take a decision almost sounds a bit more passive in a weird
> sense.
>> Maybe that's my American frame of mind at work. I have not encountered a
>> language that makes decisions. They all take them. What is the reason for
>> that?
>
> I don't, I always say "make a decision" (I'm Scottish, living in England).
>
> These British vs American English assumptions do often seem to involve
> unjustified generalisations. I guess it's not a simple case of "We mak
> 'em,
> you tak 'em," :)
>
> Sandy
> http://scotstext.org/

To me both 'taking' and 'making' decisions have valid meanings. When my
boss decides what to do, he makes the decision. When he passes that
decision on to his underlings, they take that decision and carry it out.

Reuben

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.03.09 (03) [E]

Sandy Fleming wrote:
"We mak 'em, you tak 'em."

That's _Wi mek em, juuw tek em_ in Nottingham English. (Or, rather, _Wi mek
k-em, juuw tek k-em_ if Ron will permit me to represent liaison!) Doesn't
the (perhaps pejorative) nickname of people from Sunderland (_Mackems_)
derive from a Geordie version of this phrase?

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Críostóir (above):

> if Ron will permit me to represent liaison!

Oh, no, young man!  It's illegal and will have to be reported to the
orthography police.