LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.03.14 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 14 17:30:48 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.MAR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Anniversary" [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Anniversary
>
> So, having said all this nice stuff I'm bringing on the stoker and say,
> "On,
> on, you lot! More, oh, more!" and "Where are the pictures, those few of
> you?"  You don't have to be master writers.  Don't force it; just be
> yourselves, and let shine those personalities I know there is an abundance
> of.  Oh, and don't forget those story translations!

Just to keep you informed, I've drafted a BSL version of The Wren which I'm
going to type up today to submit. This is the first story ever written down
in BSL!

I've still no idea how to make an audio recording, but I'm going to discuss
it with someone tomorrow and make a recording of the version I submitted in
East Lothian dialect.

The picture and blurb will turn up!

What are the deadlines for those things?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Thanks a lot, Sandy!

Well, you know several brownie points are due to you already, and I'd triple
the number if you get together even as much as one sound recording (which
would be a real feat considering that you're deaf).

Oh, and when I promised our Gary more "brownie points" for services rendered
and pledged, he said he might advance to guide one of these days if he keeps
it up.  "Too right," to use an Australianism.  But at the very least he'll
have enough points to get a pice of brownie.*

(* An explanation for our friends outside the English-speaking world: a
"brownie" can be a "junior" girl scout, "guide" being a rank above it, and
"brownie" is also the name of a type of sheet cake, usually made with fudge,
often with nuts, in the US, usually way too sweet for non-Netherlands
"Continentals.")

By the way, Gary deserves a whole sheet of brownies by now for just coming
up with the idea of the presentation (which we will acknowledge at the
site), not to mention his intro, his translation and facilitation, and his
IPA transcriptions.

Anyway, if you get together that BSL version, Sandy, I really think we
should mark it as historic by mentioning that it is the first story written
in BSL.  If you use a special font, please send it to me with the text (or
tell me where to download it). When we use special fonts, I format it in a
predetermined way and send it as a PDF file to Mathieu, who then makes it
into screen-shot graphics.

Thanks in advance, Sandy!  You're a prince (and I mean this in the best way
possible).