LL-L "Orthography" 2005.03.17 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 17 15:34:31 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.MAR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.03.16 (07) [E/LS]

Thanks again, Reinhard. As you have seen by now I wrote the Low Saxon
translation in AS, without problems.

But then I have a question for Henry Pijffers about his spelling of the
Twente Wren version. Is this in AS too? Because although Twente LS - as
Achterhook LS and in fact all Western LS varieties in the Netherlands - is
famous for its long monophthongs, Henry writes things like
hey, sey, wey, dey, eyn for [e:] with ey in stead of e; kleinen in stead of
kleynen for [Ei];vloyg, loeywe, loyp, soyken for[ø:]with oy in stead of oe.
And also noes with oe in stead of ö; skueppe, uem, sprueng, ruegge, beguen,
kuemp with ue in stead of ü; aetten, braekke, maenke for short [E] in stead
of e; stearen, mear, weast [E:] with ea in stead of ae.
sin, nit in stead of syn, nyt; thus, hus in stead of t'huus, huus; wur in
stead of woor, wyr in stead of weer etc.

I only know Henry's version without sound recording, but I'm pretty sure how
it must sound. But the orthography is quite different still from both
Dutch-based and German-based spellings, from the special Twente spelling and
from AS too.
Ingmar

Reinhard answered my question re orthography: