LL-L "Language politics" 2005.03.17 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 17 17:21:12 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.MAR.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  "Peter Snepvangers" <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Language and dialects

Hello Reinhard,

I just read your mail on the Lowlanders list and Ingmar's reply regarding a
single orthography for Low Saxon. I have forwarded you this email because
this is a perfect example of how institutions deal with issues or persons
that do not fit with "the way things should be". They just totally ignore
them. I like to request information from time to time but I do not get
replies. I find this ignoring process a better method of maintaining the
norm than governments scaring people or anything else. People just do not
have time or the effort to keep asking for things when the other side just
totally does not enter into dialogue.

I believe you are only partially right in your assessment of the future of
Low Saxon. There is a slow movement or momentum that has been activated by
yourself and many other professional people and people who have a passion
for the language. You are slowly turning our world from a "spectator"
perspective to one we might actually be able to get involved in personally.
I believe at some point in time there probably was a more consistent
orthography as it only seems right to me that all these Saxons and Frisians
running about the northern world prior to the year 775 could understand each
other very well. I also agree with you regarding the Hanseatic period
strengthening this again in the 1200's and 1300's. I am no linguist Reinhard
and may seem a little ignorant on these things and am grateful for
information. One of the truly sad things in history was the christianising
of the Saxon race by "Gods Emperor" Karl der Grosse!!! Punishing people by
death for not getting baptized and forbidding public assemblies seems to be
something repeated over and over in history.

I think you need to create as large a body of work using what you consider
to be an "ideal standard" as it works for Chinese and Arabic. It is a
personal affront for the individual communities in the Netherlands as well
as Germany but that baggage is not there for new speakers in USA, Sweden,
Australia, Italy etc. Who knows, you might even convince some of the
Lowlander locals it is a good thing. You will never achieve a majority vote
from the existing players but you can show the future speakers what it could
have been like for those first Saxons and Frisians who travelled to England
in the 400's and you will definitely create a bright future.

Cheers
Peter Snepvangers