LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.03.20 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 20 20:46:13 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAR.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Anniversary" [E]

> Anyway, if you get together that BSL version, Sandy, I really think we
> should mark it as historic by mentioning that it is the first story
> written
> in BSL.  If you use a special font, please send it to me with the text (or
> tell me where to download it). When we use special fonts, I format it in a
> predetermined way and send it as a PDF file to Mathieu, who then makes it
> into screen-shot graphics.

Unfortunately SignWriting editors have gone out of date and not been
replaced so all we have this year (unless we like the old DOS one) is a web
interface for producing graphics of signs - a new editor (or "Sign
Processor", I'm not sure) has been promised for the end of 2005.

So for now I just have the story as a series of small graphics files. It's
at http://bsltext.org/stories/wren/wren.htm

This isn't linked to from anywhere - I'll link it to my site after it's been
up on Lowlands-L for a "decent interval" as they say in the publishing
business!

If you "Save as Web Page (Complete)" from your browser this should download
the graphics and file so that Mathieu can put it into the form he wants.

Children who know BSL will probably be able to read a lot of this without
help - adults seem to need to study the manual before they can do it!

You can learn about the writing system at http://www.signwriting.org/ This
is the only writing system that's ever been used successfully to write
literature in sign languages.

So - this is an historic moment in the history of British Sign Language!

Now to try this sound recording thing - but don't hold your breath!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Wow!  Thanks a lot, Sandy!  This is great!  And what a splendid web resource
this Signbank is!

So you could do your intro like that too.  ;-)  (Pushing my luck, no doubt.)

Before I pass it on to Mathieu, I'll process it, possibly a little reduced
in size and either as a transparent GIF or with our uniform colored
background.

By the way, is the left to right vertical column arrangement (as in
Uyghur-Mongol-Manchu writing, by the way) the preferred one?

> So - this is an historic moment in the history of British Sign Language!

And it will be touted as such.

> Now to try this sound recording thing - but don't hold your breath!

Still breathing (albeit barely, due to spring allergies).

Good luck, Sandy, and thanks again.