LL-L "Resources" 2005.03.20 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 20 22:46:31 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAR.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2005.03.20 (01) [E]

Speaking of Grietje's Dubbel Dutch, Double Dutch is the name here in the
Netherlands for the English spoken by native Dutch speakers, with a lot of
interference from Dutch. Maybe because Dutch is the (sizable)language most
closely related to English - as are the 'lesser' Frisian and of course
especially Scots - its speakers are easily confused and use a lot of loan-
translations, false friends etc. Same goes with Dutch speaking the even
closer related German. Most of us still believe we speak both of these
quite fluently...

In her book Righting English that's gone Dutch, author Joy Burrough-
Boenisch calls this Clogged English or Dunglish. The terms Steenkool-
Engels (pit-coal English)and Steenkolen-Duits (pit-coal German)are also
widely used, probably from the times of the Limburgian coal-mining
industry which attracted loads of foreign workers from Eastern and
Southern Europe, who used to communicate in a kind of pidginized German.

Ingmar

>From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
>Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2005.03.19 (01) [E]
>
>Steve, maybe Robin Cook's Dubbel Dutch would be a good resource for you.
It goes into all those awkward things that you need to grasp, assuming
that you already have a reasonably vocab and grammar background.