LL-L "Education" 2005.03.23 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 23 23:23:06 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.MAR.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.03.23 (07) [E]

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.03.23 (02) [E

>Nowhere, however, is linguistic history taught as part of the subject,
unless the teacher has a personal interest in the matter and can insert it
un-noticed into lessons. <

Some of us are doing our level best to get teachers interested so that they
can 'slip it' deliberately into lessons!

Times have changed and part of the National Literacy Programme includes the
origins of words and (a bit of ) language history.

We are fortunate that  we have  The Story of English as a resource with its
very detailed links between Friesland and the UK east coast languages ( the
video has wonderful examples of a Yorkshire man and a Frieslander talking
about the same thing using much the same vocabulary)  and more recently
"The Routes of English" ( both on radio and TV) ( and it really wasn't the
Roots of English!) which did some lovely computerised soundshifts between
the languages.

I find teachers fascinated by History of Languages. I was lucky enough last
year to be commissioned to write a training module for teacher In Service
Training on the Web called : A Word in History: History in a Word".

So all is not doom and gloom!

Heather