LL-L "Language survival" 2005.03.26 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 26 19:57:37 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.MAR.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Introduction" 2005.03.25 (02) [E]

Preservation: yes! allbeit hard enough. But development towards a standard
written Low Saxon would be even more difficult, and it is not one of this
list's goals, actually. The individual varieties of LS in Germany and the
Netherlands, both within these countries as border-crossing, are too
different from each other for that...

Although standardization for limited areas with comparable dialects
would be possible. E.g. I am working at a kind of standard written LS for
the Hamaland (Chamavian) dialects of the Eastern Netherlands and Western
Westphalia, which have enough phonological and grammatical features in
common to come to a mean form. I think that's possible for some other
areas as well, for instance Norther Niedersachsen LS, and I believe that a
general form of those dialect group is already written by our own Reinhard
already.

What is possible however is using a common orthography for all different
LS varieties, such as AS or Algemene Schryvwyse (general way of writing),
which will make it much easier at least to read each other's dialects.
It's not bad for the preservation of Low Saxon when there is no standard
languages, its speakers/readers don't mind to see differences with their
own particular dialect, most will find it interesting and inspiring. But
they must be able to read it, and that is quite difficult nowadays with
all the different spelling habits, especially also between both countries.

Ingmar