LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.26 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 26 19:54:33 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.MAR.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.25 (04) [E]

In the old Christmas carol "Away in a Manger",  the cattle are lowing...
But the older Germanic word would in any case be "kine" from OE cyne,
plural of cu.
Only really seen in the King James bible now.

Paul

----------

From: "Grietje MENGER" <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>

Talking about 'mass' or 'uncountable' nouns - I never realised there was a
term for that - is there a term for nouns that are the same in both singular
and plural (but are not uncountable nouns). I'm thinking of English _deer_
and _sheep_, but also _canon_. Norwegian has a number of them, most noteable
_hus_.

What I'm also wondering about is whether, if you identify all these
"singularplurals", whether you could draw any conclusions as to the type of
nouns this reflects. Mainly agricultural, or mainly original words of Saxon
descent, or maybe loanwords?

Grietje Menger
Crieff
Scotland