LL-L "Phonology" 2005.03.29 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 29 18:17:35 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.MAR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: "waki" <yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.03.28 (13) [E]

From: Yasuji Waki, yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp
Subject: IPA

Deasr Lowland friend,
When I started to learn English about 55 years ago, I learned the
international phonetic alphabet to know how to pronounce new words. Most of
dictionaries of foreign languages publisshed in Japan indicate how to read
all words listed in them by using the international phonetic alphabet. But,
when I started to learn German (Standar German), I found that even if the
same phoneitc alphabeet is used in English and German dictionaries, the
actual sounds seem a littel different from each other. Then, I am using the
international phonetic alphabet as a guide how to read or pronounce, but I
am using also CD or tape to know the actual pronunciation of words.

Best regards.

----------

From: Ben Bloomgren <ben.bloomgren at asu.edu>

Thanks, Ron, there is a site that I have found through your site that you
have sent. The only problem is that the redirect only takes me to a browsing
site for books. I have found several places wherein I can get a description
of several IPA characters like c-wedge.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Thanks, Yasuji and Ben.

Well, I stand by my call for the creation of a comprehensive IPA guide
that incorporates additional information for the blind.  It would show
each symbol, describe its shape, list its name, describe its sound and,
ideally, provide a sound file as well as some examples.  It doesn't seem
very hard to do, considering that it could be based on existing guides.