LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.29 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 29 18:21:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.MAR.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: "Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc." <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Grammar

Why does inversion often have a so a significant effect on the "verb -
personal pronoun" combination, as if it were subjected to special rules?

In my West-Limburgish e.g. we replace "hië" (he) with "er" when inverting.

Hië és doeë gewès (He has been there)
Es-t-er doë gewès? (Has he been there?)

For the second pronoun we have a contraction:

Dzjië zit doeë gewès (You have been there)
Zie (quite long ie) doeë gewès? (Have you been there?)

Curiously in West Flemish they repeat the Flemish "je" with the Brabantish
"gie":
"Ejje gie da noadig?" (Do you need [to know] that?)
(cf ./ text below pasted from the "Westvlams" list.)
LES WESTVLAAMS
Zoon: "Moedre, oe skrievje tetten?"
Waarop moeder: "Emoa joengne, wuk ne parlee;
Woa voarn ejje gie da noadig?"
Zoon: "Voar in mien ipstel van 't schole, kwille skrievn:
Voadre ee nen nieuwn trekteur gekocht en tetten nog niemand gezien".

Does inversion generally have similar effects in lowland languages?

Regards,
Roger