LL-L "Delectables" 2005.03.29 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 29 18:44:07 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JAN.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: Larry Granberg <nibwit at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.03.28 (14) [E]

Hi All,
As Ron said, Easter is THE celebration in the Slavic speaking areas of the
world.
While not sure if the Sorbs have an Easter Basket tradition such as their
Eastern
Slavic cousins do, I would like to share with you what we did for Easter.
Easter was
known as "Pascha" in our Carpatho-Rusyn family (actually my mother was
Rusyn, my
father not, but as in most households what the mother is the children
are). In my
earlier days, both the Byzantine Catholics and Orthodox both had very
strict rules
concerning fasting during Lent. No meat whatsoever, certain oils were
prohibited and
most dairy as well. That left us being pretty much vegans throughout Lent,
and NO,
Ron, we did not enjoy it. So everyone would wait anxiously for Good
Saturday and the
Blessed Foods from the Easter Basket. That week prior to Good Saturday,
Mum would be
baking, Dad would be making the Kolbasi with my Uncles, and we children
were charged
with cleaning up the house and later dying the eggs. Most of the eggs we
 re
 hardboiled and dyed a deep red, called krashanky. We would inspect each
egg quite
thoroughly to see which had the  strongest shells (how we did this, I have
no idea
anymore) and each claimed two or three as their personal stash for games
later.
Some eggs we decorated as Pisanky, a wax resist method, and not always
with the
traditional designs. My Mum would get the basket that we used just for this
occasion and she would put in it ham-shunka, sausage-kolbasa, easter
bread-paska,
the krashanky, butter-maslo, egg cheese called hrudka, wine-vina, beet
horseradish-chrin (that was my job, grinding the horseradish, and for years I
thought I was being punished for something), bacon-slaninja and finally
salt-sol.
So now it is Good Saturday evening and we all go down to Church for
Vespers and the
Resurection Matins. After these services, the priest and the people gather
to bless
the baskets. Then we would rush home, Mum would say the Blessing and dish
out small
portions of everything
  to all,
 we would go to bed and dream of the big dinner on Sunday after church.
That would
have ham, holubki-stuffed cabbage, apricot compote, potatoes cooked in
cream, green
beans with a sour hardboiled egg sauce, clear chicken broth with Easter
loksha -a
type of filled pancake, and kolachi for desert. Without change, from year
to year.
The game that we used to play with the eggs was on Easter sunday with our
relatives,
we would knock eggs together and the person whose egg cracked first, they
lost and
you got their egg. The was a specific song that you were supposed to sing,
but if
anyone here remembers the KenLRation dog food jingle, that is what we used
and just
chcanged the words. I think my grandfather got all the eggs later, winners
and
losers, and ate them.
This year we will celebrate Easter in Luxembourg, and am wondering where I
can find
kolbasi............