LL-L "History" 2005.05.02 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 3 00:44:15 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.MAY.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.05.02 (04) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

Another history question:

I was reading a book this week (Gosden's "Caribbean Georgian") which
mentioned something that I'd not read elsewhere, but makes sense.  If
any of you can give me references to discussions of this by economic
historians (rather than architectural historians), I'd be very grateful!

What Pamela Gosden implies is that the Dutch had an advantage over all
the other Europeans in the Caribbean, because they invented 'hire
purchase' of people.  In the early 17th century, when most countries
were playing capture-the-island, or selling slaves, the Dutch came up
with a scheme whereby they would supply expertise (often in the form of
Jews relocating from Brazil), equipment, and slaves to enable planters
to start, or convert to sugar production.  Rather than demanding money
'up front' for this capital-intensive industry, they had an arrangement
whereby payment was delayed until some profits were realised.

Another economic question to follow ....

With best wishes,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.05.02 (01) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

I threatened another economic history question (always thought economic
history was the most boring kind .... I've revised that opinion!)

I've been wondering for some time about the presence of capital in the
early modern Low Countries.  My most recent reading (see previous post)
on the way that Lowlanders (may have) financed the conversion to sugar
culture in the Caribbean prompts me to this again.

The early modern Low Countries seem to have had a lot of liquid assets:
money to invest in the industrialisation of crops in the Caribbean,
money to rebuild churches and houses in the Republic, money to contract
soldiers to create the Republic ....

Could anyone point me at an economic historian who looks at this?  I'd
prefer it to be in English, but can cope with Dutch (I've just finished
Soly's volume on van Schoonbeke, so have my hour-a-day with a Dutch book
free).

With best wishes,

Pat

Pat Reynolds
(research student in archaeology, university of York)
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,