LL-L "Administrativia" 2005.05.03 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 3 17:33:58 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAY.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Administrativia" 2005.05.03 (07) [E]

Hi Ron

Every month when I see the list of newcomers I wonder if there is a list
with the complete number of members and where they come from. That would be
very interesting, do we have dozens or even hundreds of co-members, what
nationalities do they have or what countries they live in etc

Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Hi, Ingmar!

No, there is no complete list of subscribers with more than their names and
email addresses on them, though I could probably reconstruct one that goes
back about five years.  Not only would that would be a lot of work but it
would also violate our justifiably self-imposed rule of not giving out
personal information.  Only Mathieu, Sandy and I have access to that sort of
information, and we ain't talkin'.  I guard this information with my life.
Members that post to the List do so on their own volition, and on their own
volition they mention things like their whereabouts.  Even in those cases we
would not give away this sort of information on our part.  It would be
unethical to do so, no matter if you are talking about "chatty" or "silent"
members.  So, no list identifying people by name or by email address ...
ever.

You could go to the archives
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html), call up all
messages with "Administrativia" and thus find my lists with places (similar
to the one today) going back quite a while.  Remember, though, that we have
a pretty good percentage of members that joined us in the early days, some
even in the very beginning.  It would be difficult to reconstruct that
information.

Remember, also, that people come and go all the time.  People who joined a
while ago may no longer be on the List.

Finally, bear in mind that places of residence are not necessarily the same
as nationality and ethnicity.  In fact, among our members there is a very
high percentage of people living in countries and areas other than the ones
in which they were born and raised.  You can tell this already by looking at
what you know about the "vocal" members.  There are ethnicities that may not
be apparent from a list of places of residence.  For instance, we have
ethnicities such as Armenian, Azeri, Basque, Bengali, Catalan, Galician,
Gujerati, Mongolian, Persian, Punjabi, Quechua, Sinhalese, Swahili, Tamil,
Telugu, Tibetan, Turkish, Uzbek and Yoruba, and these are only some of the
ones I know of or am assuming on the basis of people's names (which is not
very reliable).  I also think we have at least a couple of people of Native
American descent, but I cannot tell of which nations.   While we have
members in China (including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan) and Japan, we have
more people from these countries or of Chinese and Japanese descent living
elsewhere in the world.

Currently, the number of members keeps hoovering a bit below 500.  It is
only a matter of weeks that we'll hit and go beyond the half-millenium mark.

I hope I answered your questions.

At any rate, let me remind everyone that we are a truly global bunch.  I see
this as a great blessing and opportunity.  At the same time, we would do
well remembering this at all times to help us stay on the side of
intercultural sensitivity and compassion, which does not mean that we have
to be all dour and uptight and walk on egg shells.

Regards, and thanks for your support!