LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.04 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 4 15:50:52 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.MAY.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.03 (10) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>>Heather wrote:
>
>>Mutton suet is what's traditionally used in
>>plumpudding.<

Please can I correct this, as it 's not what I said.

Beef suet is what is sold in the UK and used to make plum puddings with.

Thanks

Heather

---------

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>

At 03:09 PM 05/03/05 -0700, Tom Byro wrote:

>I believe you.  Euell Gibbons stated in Stalking the Wild Asparagus
>that his mother used to give him the juice as a tonic when he was
>little.  My feeling though is that there are far less dangerous plants
>to focus on in the edible wild.  I am not a thrillseeker.

Haven't heard that name in thirty-five years.  I had dinner with the late
Euell Gibbons back then, when we had hosted him to give a talk.  I remember
him telling us a story about receiving a call from a right wing survivalist
group in New York City who wanted him to come give a talk about what to eat
after the nuclear holocaust.  When he informed them that everything would
be equally contaminated, they still thought he should be able to give them
some sort of advice.  "In that case," he said, "I would simply squat down,
stick my head between my legs, and kiss my ass good-bye."

Ed Alexander