LL-L "History" 2005.05.03 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 3 23:07:31 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAY.2005 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.05.02 (05) [E]

Pat Reynolds found some interesting data in a book by Gossens.

During the beginning of the 17th century the Dutch would have had an
advantage over the other traders, because they provided slaves for hire and
expert Portuguese Jewry to start sugar plantations.......

That is very interesting Pat, I tried to find some direct quotes on the
slaves for hire principle but could not find them. But then I must confess I
am awfully busy right now. I do not know if you have Johathan Israels. The
Dutch Republic, Its Rise, Greatmess, and Fall 1477 - 1806 on your bookshelf.
If not I would advise you to get it. It is a wonderful reference book and
certainly with regards to the Republic he treats history from an economical
as well as a religious background.

As far as I can fathom, the attitude of the Dutch was less, lets make a
colony, but more, lets build a trading post. The people doing business in
the trading post must be able to eat and to supply their ships. Therefore
lets build een "bouwerij" (hence bowery = truck garden) to supply them.

Building a sugar refinery would be part of it. In a way providing the
slaves - which they were transporting anyhow - on credit, was in their eyes
a good investment. At that point the Dutch were swimming in money and
immediate payment did not really help them. Investment did! They had money
enough from their lucrative trade with the East Indië Company and their
trade in the Baltic Seas. And do not forget that they had expropriated all
kinds of Roman Catholic real estate, which they could sell to others. I hope
that you find what you are looking for. Jacqueline