LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.04 (10) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 5 02:58:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.MAY.2005 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.04 (02) [A/E]

Hi, Gabriele,

nice to have you back amongst these honourable chatterboxes! There was a
kind of lack, meantimes, because of your absence. We all missed your
"sharp-tongued' comments, off- or on-topic.

But- today you wrote:
(to my 'Hellboessen')
> This would be the same as the Dutch word "helleveeg" for a truly nasty
> woman/wife ("boessen" being a broom, and "veeg" meaning "sweep"). So maybe
> it's a loan from Dutch and that's where the "e" comes from.

I fear you are pretty next to the descendence of the word. Again it could be
influenced by the ancient Netherlandic settlers (beginning at the 13.
century) I had written formerly about. The word 'Hellboessen' I again did
pick up  from that family which had been living in the so called 'Sietland'
for a time and still is familiar with both types, 'origin'
Lower-Elbe-dialect and that special, Dutch-formed variation.

Keep cool the next two or ten months- it's a hard thing to move and emerge
next the very own roots.

Feeling with You, very specially:

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm