LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.06 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri May 6 23:38:52 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.MAY.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language usage" 2005.05.06 (06) [E]

So North Frisian has been completely extinguished in Denmark? Boo!

BTW, what are the percent cognation rates between the diffferent
varieties of North Frisian Frisian (as opposed to NFLS), ie mainland
varities, Söl`ring, Ferring, etc (including that one variety that;s
100% extinct)? I know that they are quite a bit different from each
other, but.

And do you know where I can find more information on North Frisia,
North Frisian language and culture, and especially on NF insular
linguistic and cultural traditions?

Mark

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Mark!

You and I and other language "geeks" (and I mean this in the best possible
way of course) would not find the North Frisian varieties all that different
from each other.  We would think they are fairly easily mutually
intelligible.  However, apparently the average person that not think so, and
this seems to be mainly because some of the shifts, especially vowel shifts,
are rather dramatic.  Some people talk about "Frisian *languages*."

Mutual intelligibility is fairly easy between the North Frisian mainland
varieties that developed from a variety imported in the 9th or 10th century,
possibly with an earlier North Frisian substrate (later developing into
insular varieties):

“Shine, old Moon, shine!” Häwelmann yelled, but the moon was nowhere to be
seen and the stars weren’t either; they had all gone to bed already.

 Goesharde/Hoorning:
 „Jocht, uule moune, jocht!“ biilked Hääwelmoon, ors e moune waas närngs to
schüns än da steere ok ai; ja weern al aal to beede gingen.

 Bökingharde/Mooring:
 „Jucht, üülje moune, jucht!“ biiljked Hääwelmoon, ouers e moune wus nargne
tu schüns än e stääre uk ai; ja wjarn ål åltumååle tu beed lim.

 Wiedingharde:
 „Ljocht, uuile moone, ljocht!“ biilked Hääwelmuon, män e moone was näärgen
to schüns än uk e steere ai; jä würn al altomoale to beerd gingen.

 Tideland Islands (Halligen):
 „Jaacht, uale mööne, jaacht!“ bölked Hääwelmoon, man de mööne woas näärngs
to siinen än de steere uk ee; jä weern al altomaole to beed giangen.

The insular varieties developed from a variet that was imported to the area
in about the 7th century, that on the mainland had come to be overlaid by
another importation (now Continental North Frisian):

 Isle of Heligoland:
 „Lochte, ool Muun, lochte!“ rüp Heäwelman, oawers de Muun wear naarni tu
sin’n en uk de Steern ni; dja wear al allemoal tu Baad gingen.

 Isle of Oomram/Amrum:
 „Locht, dü ual muun, locht!“ rep Heewelmaan, man a muun wiar nochhuaren tu
sen an a stäären uk ei; jo wiar al altumaal tu baad gingen.

 Isle of Feer/Föhr:
 „Locht, ual muun, locht!“ rep Heewelmaan, man a muun wiar nochhuaren tu sen
an a stäären uk ei; jo wiar al altermaal tu baad gingen.

 Isle of Söl’/Sylt:
 „Ljucht, ual Muun, ljucht!“ skriilt Häwelmann, man di Muun wiar narigen tö
sen en uk di Stiaren ek; ja wiar al altermaal tö Ber gingen.

Compare these with Westerlauwer ("West") Frisian:

 “Skyn, âld moanne, skyn!” skreaude Häwelmann, mar de moanne wie nearne te
sjen, en de stjerren ek net; hja wiene allegearre al op bêd gien.

You can find more samples here:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/eng/index.php?page=frisian_sample
And more info here:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/eng/index.php?page=frisian
http://www.nordfriiskinstituut.de/
http://www.nfradio.de/

By the way, it is not only in Denmark that North Frisian disappeared but
also at the southern end, all the way down to the mouth of the Elbe, as
place names still tell you (e.g., Husum, Wedding, Tönning, Ording, Kating,
Garding, Süderoog, Ostersiel, Büsum).

I'm sure Henno et al. will have things to add.

Oh, and thanks for joining the annerversary project team by helping me with
some Yiddish tweaking!  It's been fun.
אַ ×“×Ö·× ×§ דיר!  עס איז געווען אַ גרויסע ×”× ××”.