LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.10 (04) [E/Irish]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 10 20:57:18 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAY.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: embryomystic at cogeco.ca <embryomystic at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.04.13 (04) [E]

Scríobh Gavin Falconer <Gavin.Falconer at gmx.net>

> Isaac Davis wrote:
>
> "Could you provide any links or anything with information
> about Yola and Fingalian? You mentioned them once before,
> and I googled for them, but I didn't manage to find
> anything. Sounds really interesting. I do recall reading
> some mention, in an old book about Irish dialects, of
> some English dialect spoken in southeast Ireland (can't
> recall where, offhand) that had diverged quite widely
> from the standard, and had taken on some interesting
> characteristics of Irish, including the diminutive -een.
> Could that be Yola or Fingalian?"
>
> As far as I know, Yola, spoken in the baronies of Forth
> and Bargy in Wexford, and Fingalian, spoken in Fingal in
> north Dublin, were unique because they were a fossil form
> of Middle English with dialect elements found in
> south-western England.  The name "Yola" is from "A Yola
> Zong" ('An Old Song'), one of the few attested remnants
> of the speech variety.  The voicing of the initial [s] is
> similar to that found in the English county of Somerset
> ("Zomerzet" in the local dialect); it's also present in
> pastiche form in part of 'King Lear', and there's also an
> Irvine Welsh story about a Somerset necrophile, though
> that won't be everyone's cup of tea.  It is difficult to
> understand much at all on the page (more difficult than
> actual Middle English), although it might be easier with
> another orthography.  I think that "I am" was something
> like "'Ch am".  I seem to remember that the past
> participle retained the older English y-prefix and
> dispensed with the flexion at the end, which might make
> it similar to Afrkaans in that respect.
>
> The use of diminutive -een would be common to many Irish
> dialects of English and unremarkable in this case.

Ah, I suppose.

Scríobh Crí­ostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

> That's them. There should be a handful of fairly detailed
> messages in the Lowlands-L archive relating to both
> varieties, as well as a couple of pitiful references from
> myself and the odd sample text. What follows is entirely
> from memory, and thus of dubious accuracy.
> I hope this helps.
>
> Go raibh maith agat,
>
> Criostóir.

Go raibh mile maith agatsa.

I located the book again, and it was Fingalian that they were talking about.
I've since found some reference to Yola on the net, though. Haven't checked
out the archive yet due to lack of time, but I may if I get the chance.

Go raibh mile maith agat arís, araon sibh,

Íosac

(Isaac M. Davis)