LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.11 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 11 15:15:03 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.MAY.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.10 (02) [E]

> From: Ben Bloomgren <ben.bloomgren at asu.edu>
> Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.10 (10) [E]
>
> Spanish uses tarta for pie.

Here in Peru they use pastel and sometimes 'pie'

David Barrow

----------

From: Steven Hanson <hanayatori at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Delectables

"The aim of all that was a pun. A solitary, miserable
pun. It was "If we have an open-faced tart, who needs
Spanish Vlaai (pronounced like English "fly"). In
English, _spanish fly_ is an aphrodisiac.

Where is the GEK lady when we need her?

Cheers,

Arthur"

I wouldn't call it miserable.  I understood it, and found it quite humorous.
:-)

Steven Hanson

----------

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.10 (06) [E]

Arthur Jones wrote:
> The aim of all that was a pun. A solitary, miserable
> pun. It was "If we have an open-faced tart, who needs
> Spanish Vlaai (pronounced like English "fly"). In
> English, _spanish fly_ is an aphrodisiac.
>
> Where is the GEK lady when we need her?

Sorry to disappoint you, I was briefly wondering about your choice of words,
even suspecting a pun, but I just didn't get it... chalk it up to my recent
moving experience, I still need to rearrange some of the furniture in my
brain.

Anyway, that one hurts so bad, what could one have said in reply? The whole
discussion was painful enough for me, since I have diabetes and cannot eat
any of those goodies that were mentioned (mercifully, in the case of suet as
an ingredient).

By the way, were I live now, they have a specialty called "Peker-Essen"
("peken" is Lower Saxon for "to stick"). You take a large potato, cut in in
half, and stick it to the side of a large, hot tiled stove. When it falls
down, the potato is done.

Gabriele Kahn