LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.11 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 11 16:47:22 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.MAY.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.10 (09) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>What Heather talked about reminds me of American cobbler, though cobblers
usually don't have a neat crust on top but a somewhat lighter, more
cake-like affair.  You spoon the dough onto the fruit (which typically is
peach or apple) in a "casual" fashion, and the dough globs spread out
during
the baking process.<

I agree with the cakey nature of the cobbler - see any recipe for Upside
Down Pudding

Another version of a cobbler is to layer circles of pastry like tiles over
the filling.

A vegetable cobbler would have layered potatoe slices as a topping.
I believe there is one regional version of a cobbler that lays small
dumplings ( made of suet of course!) on top, which then, as they swell in
cooking form, a crusty top. But I have a feeling this would be over meat
and not fruit. Not sure!!!

We have a Harvest Festival Supper in our village every year and a number of
us are asked to supply ' an apple pie' to feed 8 ( the number on each
table)

My homemade pastry is lousy - never have had the knack, so I always produce
instead an Apple Jalousie - like an apple turnover but with slits across
the top...... using bought in puff pastry. V tasty!
Other pies that are donated have either pastry top and bottom or just on
top.
To my knowledge no-one has ever handed in a 'pie'  with just pastry on the
bottom. Anyway that would eb an apple tart.

An apple tart would be like the French 'tarte' with sliced apples
beautifully arranged in circles and baked open top.

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Thanks, Heather.

By the way, American apple pie may be famous and stereotypical, but apple
pie is apparently not an American invention.  What I personally think are
the United States' great gifts to the world of pies are pecan pie and key
lime pie.

Pecan pies are open-faced and have pecan halves on a custardy (?) filling,
and making them is "easy-peasy," as English people might say.  They are very
good if they are not over-sweetened (which, unfortuantely, is rare).

Example:
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/Abbys_Pecan_Pie.htm
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/pecan-pie.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/recipes/pecanrecipes/perfectpecan.html

Key lime pies are "to die for."  A custard cream containing key lime juice
is poured into a pie shell and allowed to cool and harden.  Thin slices of
lime and dollops of whipped cream are arranged on top.  I find that ordinary
lime, even though not quite as good and "sweet," can be used as a
substitute.  (Key limes are a special, very different, small, round,
yellowish rather than green, and relatively sweet type of lime grown in the
Florida Keys.)

Example:
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_keylimepie.htm
http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/recipes03/0824_keylimepie.htm
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/keylime.htm

Might you dazzle folks with exotica at the next Harvest Festival, Heather,
or is this apple pie thing written in stone?

Enjoy!