LL-L "History" 2005.05.12 (04) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 12 18:00:03 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.MAY.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.05.11 (09) [E]

On 12/05/2005, at 4:57 AM, heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
wrote:

  I wonder when these heads were

  changed to pumpkins?

Certainly not until after the discovery of The New World where pumpkins
originated.
The humble turnip was the actual replacement, in Scotland neep lanterns were
part of every Halloween (Samhain) celebration. We kids had great fum carving
them to shape and putting a candle inside. Only in very recent times  has
the American pumpkin infringed into Scots culture where I believe the
traditional Guysing has been largely replaced by the alien 'Trick or Treat'.

Regards

Tom Mc Rae

Brisbane Australia

Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us

Tae See Oorsel's as Ithers See Us

Robert Burns

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.05.11 (12) [E]

Jonny posed a very interesting question about the whys and wherefores of
the difficulty Charlemagne had in forcing Christianity on the German
Lowland Saxons.
Paul then states two notions:
1. The Saxons were in a minority in a country that had already been
Christianized: "The new Germanic ruling classes in Britain saw the
potential value of being part of the political-religious fold,
especially as they watched Frankish power and influence grow, so they
simply changed out of expedience. and
2. The Saxons in England, being of the new ruling classes were trying to
distance themselves from their more superstitious brethren on the
mainland of Europe: "A possible reason why we are now  "English" here
and not "Saxish" is that the Christianized  people in Britain wanted to
distance themselves from the overtly heathen Saxons back in the old
homeland".

Is it not also possible that:
A: It is very difficult to let go of a pantheon that you "know and
trust" for a single god who promises you entry into his heaven but not
your forebears who represent your being?
B: Why would we give up an existence which was communal in essence, one
in which we are responsible for each other where we ourselves as a group
are responsible for our behavior and determine what goes and what
doesn't..... and kick the blighter out who refuses to follow our rules.
(Shunning may also be considered as "not being any longer responsible
for someone")
C: Why would we give up a rather democratic way of living for a
hierarchical one, and one in which we would end up at the bottom of the
heap to boot....?

Aren't these also reasons for the refusal of being Christianized, and
eventually also the reason for the success of the reformation in the
Saxon Lowlands of Europe?

Just some thoughts, Jacqueline