LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.13 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri May 13 15:37:46 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.MAY.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Thomas Byro <greenherring at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.04 (07) [E]

Ron

I just found an uncut version of Harpo Speaks. Harpo appeared as a
performer in Moscow in 1934.  He was assisted by a Russian cast but
Harpo did not speak Russian.  Fortunately one of the actors spoke
Hochdeutsch.  Unfortunately, Harpo did not speak that language either.
 He said that he spoke to the actor in Plattdeutsch.  Harpo said "and
we could communicate, after a fashion."  I think that this definitely
makes Harpo a lowlander.

Tom Byro