LL-L "Literature" 2005.05.15 (09) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun May 15 23:21:48 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.MAY.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2005.05.15 (01) [E]

In the modern (?) version of this song, still taught at kindergartens in
the Netherlands, it says:

Witte zwanen, zwarte zwanen
wie gaat er mee naar Engeland varen
Engeland is gesloten
De sleutel is gebroken
is er dan geen smid in 't land
die de sleutel maken kan?

White swans, black swans
Who's going to sail to England with us
England is closed
The key has broken
Isn't there a smith in the country
Who can repair/manifacture the key?

I recall to have read or heard an explanation that
in this song, <Engeland> would be <Engel-land> originally,
i.e. the Land of Angels, and that it is about the afterworld,
the other side, the land of the dead actually.
And that land is closed, there is no key to it...

Ingmar

---------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Oops, Just to show you that my memory is not what it has been. What
Memory?? I just became aware that I gave you the wrong first two lines.
They must read-- Witte Zwanen, Zwarte Zwanen
Wie gaat er mee naar Engeland varen'''
I do not know whether the white swans and the black swans have any
historical significance. May be heraldic?

The other two lines probably are derived from:
Wagen, wagen, wiedewiede wagen,
Jan kwam thuis om een boterham te vragen
Vader was niet thuis, Moeder was niet thuis,
Piep zei de muis in het voorhuis.

I have no idea where this one originated either.

Thanks for the translation Ron, Jacqueline