LL-L "Language acquisition" 2005.05.15 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun May 15 23:48:14 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.MAY.2005 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language acquisition" 2005.05.15 (01) [E]

I wonder whether the programme being referred to about remembering under
hypnosis was "The Bloxham Tapes"?

I found plenty of references via google if anyone wants to follow up the
reference.
Personally  I found the recollections of one women being in a Jewish
program in York in the 12th ? 13th century very very intriguing ... if not
convincing

Heather

---------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language acquisition

Thanks for reminding me of the Bloxham Tapes, Heather.  They made quite a
splash at the time, as did an earlier one of a woman (in England, I believe)
supposedly speaking Ancient Egyptian.  But the Bloxham Tapes, too, have
attracted their fair share of debunkers.  I remember that at the time I
thought that at least a good thing coming out of it was that it revealed to
the general public the pogrom of York and the history of British
anti-Semitism in general.

As I said, I am by no means a debunker, and reincarnation (of sorts) happens
to be a part of my own belief system.  However, I think it's too easy to
jump to conclusions, skipping over other possibilities, especially those of
stored memory, be it historical or linguistic knowledge acquired in the
foggy past.

I reported the following case of regression in February of last year:

<quote>
A professor I once had grew up in the sort of household in which children do
not have a very close relationships with their parents, practically visiting
them on a regular basis.  He was born in Manchuria.  His father was a
Tsarist Russian diplomat of German descent, and his mother was Finnish (born
under Russian occupation of Finland).  He always told us that his first
language was Finnish and that he only learned Russian after he and his
mother had been evacuated to St. Petersburg.  Russian then became his first
language, though he continued using Finnish and also learned German from
relatives.  It was only when we were taking turns watching at his deathbed
when he was in his late 90s that we came to the conclusion that his first
language was Mandarin, though he had not known any Chinese as an adult.  In
his dying delirium he kept speaking Mandarin in a child's manner.  It turned
out that he had been cared for by a Chinese nanny in his toddler years, but
by the time he was about school-entry age he was unable to communicate with
that nanny during a visit to Manchuria ...
</quote>