LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.05.18 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 18 17:26:33 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.MAY.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Hi, folks!

Contrary to what some of you may be assuming, our anniversary project is not
a thing of the past.  It is an ongoing project and keeps calling for more.
So don't fall asleep on us now!  Where are those promised contributions,
you-know-who-you-are?

There have been a few additions since we last talked about it, and Henry
keeps chugging along with his sound file processing.  So you might as well
keep checking periodically: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/ .

Here are some of the latest additions:

* an Armenian translation
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=hayerem

* a translation into Slovio (a constructed Slavonic language)
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=slovio

* two Faeroese translations
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=foeroyskt
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=foeroyskt2

* a translation into the Solingen dialect (Bergisches Land, a transitional
Low Franconian area)
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=limburgs-berjisch

* our Roger's sound file of his translation into Vliermaal Limburgish (very
interesting, and nicely "performed"!)
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=limburgs-vliermaal

* two Middle English "translations" in verse (Eat your heart out, Mr.
Chaucer!)*:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=english-m-verse1
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=english-m-verse2

* As you can see, Mike Szelog and I had some fun there.  But please bear in
mind that this is not a competition!  (Mike and I are way too cool for
that -- "boring, but cool boring," as our James Campbell says so eloquently
about himself. ;-) )  Oh, and in the "normal" font versions you can rest
your cursor on difficult words and phrases to reveal Modern English
equivalents.
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=english-m-verse1-roman
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=english-m-verse2-roman

Talking about Mike, most of you are probably aware that he's been
particularly prolific regarding this project, also as a facilitator.
Working with him is a real treat, because he comes with the rare combo of
fervent and easygoing nature.

This also reminds me to give you boys and girls a pop quiz:
Listen to Mike's translation into New Hampshire English, and tell us which
movie actor it reminds you of.  (Gary's IPA transcription helps some if you
are good at phonetic script reading.)
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=newhampshire

I'm still working on the press releases.  Help would be appreciated.
(Please write to me.)

So, folks, keep looking and keep helping!

More!  More!

P.S.: Please spare some good thoughts for our Marsha (of barnacle goose
fame) getting married at the back of beyond in Nevada tomorrow (May 19),
soon to return to us as Marsha Wilson!