LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.19 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 19 17:19:34 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.MAY.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.19 (04) [D/E]

Ron wrote:
> Thanks for the embers, most precious Gabriele.  And, Jonny, so far I'm
> thinking of it only as a thing sometime in the future, in a vague sense.

And thanks, Ron, for overlooking my "peolpe"... like a true gentleman... my
excuse is that I hurt my right index finger in some barbed wire, and I am a
clumsy typist to begin with...

Wer im Glashaus sitzt, soll nicht mit Steinen werfen.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Sorry about the finger, Gabriele.  I trust you are taking all necessary
precausions.

Folks, yesterday I announced Mike's and my renditions of the wren story into
Middle English verse.  If  any of you have taken a look them or plans to do
so, don't you agree that the language retains a lot of vocabulary and
morphology that makes it rather easy for speakers of Scots and of
Continental Lowlands languages to understand, namely items that in Modern
English are absent or archaic?  Here are some examples:

bynne(n): cf. LS binnen, D binnen, S ben
churl, cherl: cf. LS keyrl, D kerel
earst: cf. WF earst, LS eyrst, D eerst
fader: cf. LS vad(d)er (Fad(d)er), D vader
fare(n): cf. LS varen, D varen, S fare (to go/travel)
ferne: cf. LS veyrn
gare(n): cf. S gar
gloppen: LS glupen
grille, gril: cf. LS gral
herne: cf. LS hoyrn(e)
kindle: cf. LS kind, D kind
mote(n): cf. LS moeten, D moeten, S maun
rygge, rugge: cf. WF rêch, LS rüg(ge), D rug, S rig
uhten-tyd: cf. LS uchten-tyd
umb: cf. LS üm, D om
un-wight: cf. LS unwicht
ware(n): cf. WF warre, LS waren