LL-L "Syntax" 2005.05.19 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 19 19:42:07 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.MAY.2005 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2005.05.19 (05) [E]

> From: Dave Singleton <davidsin at pt.lu>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.18 (09) [E]
>
> Hello Ron,
>
> I am curious as to which type of English uses "don't" for "have you not"
> or could this be an early morning glich in my brain cell ?

But it doesn't mean "haven't you had enough", it's "don't you have enough" -
not quite the same thing.

> > "Boy", said the good old moon, "don't you have enough yet?" "No!"
> > screamed
> > little Hibbleman, "more, more!"

Kevin Caldwell

----------

From: Travis Bemann <tabemann at gmail.com>

> Hello Ron,
>
> I am curious as to which type of English uses "don't" for "have you not"
> or could this be an early morning glich in my brain cell ?
> Dave Singleton

At least here in southeastern Wisconsin, where a North Central
(formerly Inland, but "Inland" now generally denotes post-Northern
Cities Shift dialects) American English dialect is spoken, albeit one
that differents in a significant number of manners from what people
call "General American", the "don't" usage is default, and the use of
"have not" in any fashion other than as an auxiliary is very formal,
along the same lines as using the subjunctive "were" while omitting an
occupanying "if" or using the present or past subjunctive for
non-auxiliary, non-modal verbs in a productive fashion.  I myself tend
to only use "old style" verb negation, of which the use of "have not"
as a main verb is a relic, only very occasionally, and then only for
effect and only in a number of fixed usages at that.

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Syntax

Hello, Travis!  Welcome to Lowlands-L, and congratulations on your
"speaking" debut!  It's great to see you joining in.  Keep it up!

Best regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net