LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.20 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri May 20 23:27:49 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAY.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.20 (07) [E]

Good question, Diederik. <Gij> is still very much alive in Noord-Brabant.
When I came to live there, about 17 years ago, my fellow students, young
people with good education and living in quite a big city (200.000 inh.)
frequently used <gij> in informal situations amongst each other, and <jij>
in other cases, e.g. when addressing to me, a "Northener" or in any
situation they felt they should speak "netjes" (civilized). My first local
girlfriend was from West-Brabant, and her mother used to say <gij> all the
time. Later I had another girlfriend whose family I visited many times, in
a town between Eindhoven, Den Bosch and Tilburg, and they always spoke the
local dialect to each other; her mother switched to <jij> when she spoke
with me, but her father stuck to <gij>, so did one of her sisters, but not
the other one. José herself always called me <jij>, she always spoke Dutch
with a Brabant accent to me, and in fact to anyone outside her family.
Some of my best friends in Eindhoven also say both <gij> and <jij>,
depending on the situation, their moods, whose company they're in etc.
One moved to Lommel, Belgium, some years ago, and I think he always speaks
Brabant dialect with his neighbours there, as do many Noord-Brabanders
when they go across the border. Although Lommel is officialy in Belgium
Limburg, the dialect is clearly of the Brabant type.
Barbara, my wife, is a born Brabantse schone, but her parents raised her
in Standard Dutch - with Brabant accent. I've heard her mom use <gij> to
her brothers and sisters however.

In Noord-Brabant a special kind of Dutch is spoken, almost everyone has a
certain accent which is immediately recognizable, even when the rest of
their language is almost completely Standard Dutch.
Some words from the dialect are very persistant also when Dutch is spoken,
and one of it is <gij>. The funny thing is that Br. <zijde (gij)> becomes
Br. Dutch <bende (gij)>, St Dutch <ben jij> = are you?, Br. <wè> and <dè>
<motte (gij) dè menneke naw toch is heure> becomes <moete (gij) da manneke
naw toch is hore> D. <moet je dat jongetje n(o)u toch eens horen> etc.

Brab.: zedde (gij) vanmerge nonnie thous gewist, wè's dè nauw toch?
Br.D.: bende (gij) vanmorge nonnie thuis geweest, wa's da nou toch?
Dutch: ben je vanmorgen nog niet thuis geweest, wat is dat nu toch?

So maybe that isn't so much unlike the <Verkavelings-Vlaams>:
most is Standard Dutch but with clear local coloration by some <markers>

Ingmar