LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.23 (03) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 23 16:33:00 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.MAY.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.22 (02) [E/German]

Sandy wrote:
"Ingmar presents Middelsprake as if it could be a lingua franca for the
list, but when chllenged to make it more friendly to insular varieties,
dismisses it as merely a personal interest of his. Middelsprake is the most
divisive element I have ever seen on this list..."

Thanks, Sandy, for giving me so much credit, I feel really honoured, you
know, that you believe I am able to divide this beautiful List of ours.
I always thought it were your mailings about Scots and BSL, but it's really
great of you to let me win.

Btw I don't remeber having presented Middelsprake as a Lingua Franca for
this list, please tell me where I did. And I also think that MS is already
pretty "friendly" to insular varieties, English is a very important element
of its basis. I even think MS would be the Germanic language that a mono-
English speaker would understand most of without having learned it before.
But would it somehow be possible it's not the language that irritates you,
but the creator?

Ingmar