LL-L "Music" 2005.05.25 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 25 19:12:38 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.MAY.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at cfgcustomers.com>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2005.05.25 (01) [E]

Hi all,

Criostóir wrote in part -

 (I have been told the uileann pipes are the only
> genuinely Irish instrument, but I am no musician so I cannot comment),
> although I would have thought the bodhrán at least was particularly
> Celtic.

I've heard that too - the pipes themselves not an Irish invention, but the
concept of the bellows being done by the elbow (hence the name uileann
pipes) seems to be rather unique to Ireland; a way for the player to also
sing to the tunes he/she was playing.

The bodhran is *very* similar to Native American drums in construction (at
least on a traditional Native drum. Also similar to other drums from around
the world, but the playing style seems to me to be a very "Celtic" way of
playing, i.e. using a two sided striker (I want to say it's called a
kipeen)and also striking the rim as part of the playing technique.

I've noticed that too in early music, somewhat Middle Eastern sounding - I
suspect there was quite a bit of influence on Western musical tradition from
the Moors who probably brought the 'oud with themwhich developed into the
lute here in the West.

Mike S

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Music

Hi, Mike!

> The bodhran is *very* similar to Native American drums in construction (at
> least on a traditional Native drum.

I believe there are several Siberian varieties of it.  Also, there used to
be a drum or tambourin on which you beat with the fingers of the hand with
which you hold it (or rather balance it).  This is found with various
permutations through the Iranic world, Central Asia (_dap_, _daf_, etc.),
Siberia and North America, especially in Arctic regions.

> I've heard that too - the pipes themselves not an Irish invention, but the
> concept of the bellows being done by the elbow (hence the name uileann
> pipes) seems to be rather unique to Ireland; a way for the player to also
> sing to the tunes he/she was playing.

But don't the Northumbrian smallpipes use this technique also?  Is it
imported from Ireland?  What about the Scottish and Border smallpipes?