LL-L "Music" 2005.05.25 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 26 01:12:37 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.MAY.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2005.05.24 (05) [E]

In my German conversation group, our "Wort der Woche" recently was "der
Dudelsack"; it just seems to sum up the instrument so well.  Are there any
special Lowlands words?

Paul

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2005.05.24 (07) [E]

Much Indo-European music was basicaly modal, often pentatonic.  The
emergence of the chromatic scale in the Renaissance slowly squeezed a lot of
traditional music out.  The old scales and modes survived in the westernmost
so-called "Celtic " areas, so we tend to associate the sounds with there.

Paul