LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 26 18:24:17 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.MAY.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.25 (06) [E/LS]

Well, maybe it's not a midlife crisis, but it sure looked like a
"midlist crisis" to me! And you both promised it wouldn't become a civil
war...
I hope this is the end of the discussion between the two of you, because
it is really not pleasant having to read.

Gabi:
>Please tell me that you are going through a severe midlife crisis, are
>having an IRS audit, or are facing extensive root canal treatment. All of
>those could be considered valid reasons for your over-the-top reaction.

Ron:

----------

From: Thomas Byro <greenherring at gmail.com>

Re Yiddish;

There is a sizable community here in New York where Yiddish still
thrives as a daily language and that is among the Orthodox Jews.  By
sizable I mean for example Borough Park in Brooklyn where there are
several hundred thousand Orthodox Jews.  I can attest from personal
observation that it is the langauge of choice even in the home for
these people.  Outside of this community though the fate of Yiddish is
uncertain.  My friend Fred, who grew up speaking only Yiddish and had
to learn English as a second language when he entered school, never
taught the language to his children. Interestingly enough, when Fred
and I went to the New York is Books fair, I spotted Shimon Peres a
short distance away.  Fred immediately went over and began gossiping
with Shimon in Yiddish.  Clearly some of the older generation in
Israel still command this language.

Tom Byro