LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.25 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 26 06:52:39 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.MAY.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanners,

a good week ago I did ask you for the explanation of _thegn_ - an no one
answered! (Buu-uuh-  I felt unloved by all of you ☺)!
I made my own investigations and found it out to be a more Old Saxon than an
English term, in the varying meanings of : G: ‘Nachkömmling’, maybe
‘Lehensmann’, but also ‘Degen’, E: ‘sword’.

This evening I had a visit to any old friends and native LS-speakers, and I
tried out to use this word in relation to the, meaning my son himself,
specially meaning ‘Nachkömmling’. I did use it twice, and they seemed to
understand. there wasn’t the chance to verify it, because we dran some ‘Grog’,
though havin summertimes-temperatures.
 But- I didn’t know this word- or something  similar in our LS-dialect-
before. But I feeel myself near to it; it sounds, in a undefinable way,
very inimate to me.

Ron, and others- is there still any word of this kind I could have any
unconscience rememberance at?

I apologize for Thomsing bett wreitingh!

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm