LL-L "Resources" 2005.11.01 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 1 18:16:03 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

01 November 2005 * Volume 01

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Resources

Some books I recently discovered about dialects / regional languages in
Northern Belgium.

1 - Recently announced in the press, found today at the Antwerp Book Fair
(Boekenbeurs, Nov 1 - 11, Bouwcentrum) at the booth of De Vries-Brouwers:

- Eddy Van Hee, Woordenboek van de Antwerpse Taal, Deel 1, Nederlands -
Antwerps, 2005, Antwerpen & Rotterdam, C. de Vries-Brouwers, 208 pp, ISBN
90-5927-373-7, 14.90 Euro

One more of the many publications with idioms and expressions in
Antwerpish-Brabantish. Nothing new in concept. May eventually contain some
new expressions.

2 - Dialect of Genk (in the center of Belgian Limburg).

Some years ago it was announced in the press that Renaat Huygen was writing
a grammar of Genker dialect. A couple of weeks ago I checked at his bar (De
Slagmolen in Genk) last week. It was ready since quite some time, and I
bought it together with 2 other books in Genker dialect for a total of 32
Euro.

- Renaat Huygen, Spelling van het Genker, Genker schrijven en lezen, 2001,
no publisher, 87 pp in DIN A4 (The title is misleading, it is a complete
grammar)
- Genker bloemlezing, verhalen en gedichten in het Genker dialect, een
uitgave van Veldeke Genk, 2003, 103 pp in DIN A4. (an anthology of texts in
Genker)
- Theo Achten, E Zjraarke 'ne Zjef en 'ne Zjang out de Hoehve, 2005, 69 pp.
in DIN A4 (texts in Genker)

In my own Limburgish (Vliermaal) the names in the latter title would be:
  Dzjeraarke for Zjraarke (little Gerard)
  Dzjef for Zjef (Jozef)
  Dzjang for Zjang (Jan)

3 - Description of Northern Belgian dialects.

About a year ago I reported about 3 publications about Belgian dialects in
the series "Taal in stad en land" ("Frans-Vlaams", "Brussels",
"Belgisch-Limburgs"). Last Saturday I found 4 more in the Antwerp Fnac
bookshop("West-Vlaams", "Oost-Vlaams", "Vlaams Branbants en Antwerps",
"Stads-Antwerps"), 12.50 Euro each

These pocket size books are written by highly qualified people (most of them
are publishers of the regional diactionaries WLD, WBD and WLD at the
universities of Ghent, Leuven and Nijmegen. They give a description of the
dialect, a little grammar, a little vocabulary; a bibliography, ...

Full details of the 7 books (6 for Belgium and 1 for France):

France, Flemish

- Hugo Ryckeboer, "Frans Vlaams", 2004, Tielt, Lannoo, Taal in stad en land,
137 pp, ISBN 90-2095856-9

Belgium, Flemish

- Magda Devos & Reinhild Vandekerckhove, "West-Vlaams", 2005, Tielt, Lannoo,
Taal in stad en land, 170 pp, ISBN 90-2096051-2
- Johan Taeldeman, "Oost-Vlaams", 2005, Tielt, Lannoo, Taal in stad en land,
123 pp, ISBN 90-2096048-2

Belgium, Brabantish

- Miet Ooms & Jacques Van Keymeulen, "Vlaams-Brabants en Antwerps", 2005,
Tielt, Lannoo, Taal in stad en land, 122 pp, ISBN 90-2096047-4
- Sera de Vriendt, "Brussels", 2004, Tielt, Lannoo, Taal in stad en land,
124 pp, ISBN 90-2095857-7
- Georges De Schutter & Jan Nuyts, "Stads-Antwerps", 2005, Tielt, Lannoo,
Taal in stad en land, 176 pp, ISBN 90-2096052-0

Belgium, Limburgish

- Rob Belemans & Ronny Keulen, "Belgisch-Limburgs", 2004, Tielt, Lannoo,
Taal in stad en land, 122 pp, ISBN 90-2095855-0

Comment: in the same series, similar pockets have been published for the
Netherlands. I never bought them, but here follows the list as printed on
p.2 in the Belgian ones.
1 Ansterdams
2 Fries en Stads-Fries
3 Gronings
4 Haags
5 Leids
6 Maastrichts
7 Oost-Brabants
8 Rotterdams
9 Stellingwerfs
10 Utrechts, Veluws en Flevolands
11 Venloos, Roermonds en Sittards
12 West-Brabants
13 Zuid-Gelderse dialecten
14 Sallands, Twents en Achterhoeks
15 Heerlens Nederlands
16 Taal van de Wadden
17 Drents
18 Zeeuws
19 Zuid-Hollands
20 Noord-Hollands

Cf. website
http://www.taalinstadenland.nl
(The most recent Belgian ones are not (yet) listed)

Other websites referred to in the introduction to the new Belgian pockets;
http://www.huisvanalijn.be/taalkamer/index.html
http://fuzzy.arts.kuleuven.be/rewo/
http://www.ru.nl/dialect/snd/

Regards,