LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.01 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 1 22:57:04 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

01 November 2005 * Volume 10

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.11.01 (05) [E]

Hi, Mark, Ron,

Mark:
> ('written', for Ron the pedant)!
>
> (Sire! The pedants are restless!)
>
> Yrs,
> Mark

Ron (in answer):
> I'll pee (on) *your* dant!  It wasn't I but our Ian that started it:

Pedantry, often and condescendingly aspected as 'typical German', isn't
always as bad as one could mean. I'd often like to have more of it- but not
really, at the end ;-)...
But- and this is a serious fact- as far as old, 'suffering' languages are
concerned we *have* to be pedants. It's our duty to avoid misleading
mistakes, and for me (except at the 1st of April) it is the utmost and first
directive.
No 'Patentplatt'!!! (But- how to manage it? Because you cross it every day!)

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Thanks, Jonny ... I think.

I've long searched for a good name describing the opposite of _Patentplatt_
(which denotes "fake/made-up/make-believe Low Saxon").  "Genuine Platt"
won't quite do it, since the name ought to express more, of the other
extreme: "super-correct (with no innovation and deviation permitted)."  This
lovely discussion thread, particularly our Mark's attempted character
assassination of innocent little me, finally gave me the idea:
_Pedantenplatt_!!!  Or _Pedantplatt_, to go with _Patentplatt_.  Ain't that
another stroke of genius on my part (he asks, yearning for validation in his
customarily unpretentious manner)?

Now there's some potential ammunition for our Heiko who has grown
exceedingly tired of _Patentplatt_ accusations.

Kumpelmenten,