LL-L "Etymology" 2005.11.01 (11) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 1 23:39:23 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

01 November 2005 * Volume 11

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Leeve Reinhard, leeve Lowlanners,
(English below)

vandoog bün ick weller op twee Wöör' komen, de woll vandoog minner bruuklich
sünd:

1: LS:_pudeln_, G:'Hundeschwimmen', meent Lüüd, de ne recht swimmen köönt un
'rümpaddeln dout' as 'n Keuter (E:'to swim, paddle like a dog, just in a
"puddle"[?]').

2: LS:_quaggeln_, G:'unstet, unberechenbar, unsinnig (sein/daherreden)',
E:'to be restless, not concrete, uncalculable, full of nonsense', too (but
this isn't a good translation at all!).

Kennt dat jichenseen van jou noch?

Dear Ron, dear Lowlanders,

today I came across two words in LS not very often used in our days:

1: LS:_pudeln_, G:'Hundeschwimmen', said about people not very well able to
swim (E:'to swim, paddle like a dog, just in a "puddle"[?];-)').

2: LS:_quaggeln_, G:'unstet, unberechenbar, unsinnig (sein/daherreden)',
E:'to be restless, not concrete, uncalculable, full of nonsense' (but this
isn't a good translation at all!).

Anyone here still to know them?

Greutens and regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Jonny,

[English below]

Dey woyrd' har 'k tou voer ny nich hoyrd.  Man gissen kan ik wul:

"Pudeln" kun vun _pudel_ af-kamen.  Pudels sünd je nu water-hunden (un daar
wegen hebt sey ook haar an staats vun vel).

"Kwaggeln" kun "kwakkeln" ween, vun _kwacken_ (<quacken> as vun aanten)
af-kamen mit /-l-/ as "frekwentyv" ("in eynsen tou kwakken").

Wat segst daar tou?

***

I've never come across those words before, but I'm always ready to guess:

_Pudeln_ may have come from _pudel_ (<Pudel>) 'poodle'.  After all, poodles
are water dogs (which is why they have no fur but hair).

_Quaggeln_ might be _kwakkeln_ (<quackeln>) 'to quack' (as of ducks) with
the frequentive suffix /-l-/ ('to quack repeatedly').

What do you think?

Kumpelmenten,