LL-L "Ethnonyms" 2005.10.31 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 3 01:34:28 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

02 November 2005 * Volume 12

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Ethnonyms" 2005.11.01 (07) [E]

"Bushmen", in Dutch "Bosjesmannen", reminds me at another ethnonym:
"Bosnegers" or "Bush Negroes" of the former Dutch colony Suriname.
These so-called Bosnegers are the descendants of runaway African slaves
that formed new tribes in the inland rainforests of Suriname. In their
religion, culture and even their languages they maintained many African
features. They were also called "Marrons", but the name "Bosnegers" was
and is far more common, both in Suriname and the Netherlands. Since a few
decades, the political correct ethnonym "Boslandcreolen" emerged, lit.
Woodland Creoles. Creoles is the name for the large (major) ethnic group
in Suriname, of mixed origin, predominately African, but with quite a lot
of European blood, including that of Sephardic Jews, and with influences
of "Native Americans", "Hindustanis"(=Indians), Chinese, Javanese etc
so Creoles from the Woodlands instead of Bush Negroes

Ingmar

Mark Dreyer het geskryf: