LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.07 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 8 01:22:47 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

07 November 2005 * Volume 08

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.07 (06) [E]

Hi, Isaac,

all of us are Africans by origin, of course. Even those mystic
Neandertalers.

Jacqueline was talking about the younger, post-glacial re-settlement of the
northern hemisphere, I guess, and she's quite right to place them admirable,
capable Saamis etc. nearer to any northern (and later/younger, of course,
but I'm not sure at last) Asiatic origin than to the regions those 'common'
Indo-Europeans are suspected to have come from.

It should be a clear matter of fact that they came from Northern
Russia/Siberian and occupied those niches in the far north of Europe where
life is hard and demands a very special skill for survival and establishing
a culture.

Friendly regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: Andrys Onsman
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong wrote:

> It is indeed odd because Germanic Norwegians and Danes are a blond
> people.  You may expect darker people amongst the

And Isaac replied:

> Asiatic in origin? Aren't they the indigenous people of the place
> where they live? And if they can be said to be Asiatic in origin, is
> anyone actually from Scandinavia?

Yes, the Sami are indigenous to the region. The "place"criterion in most
definitions of indigeneity generally refers to ancestral domains and
usually implies that a particular people were the first there and that
they developed place-specific customs and relationships. All circumpolar
peoples tend to have some physical (e.g. hooded eyes) and spiritual
(e.g. Shamanism) commonality, regardless of which continent they live
on: I doubt that it's to do with "Asiatic" genes specifically but more
likely to be about better environmental fit. Big boofy blondes (or
redheads) would lose far too much body heat; have too much wind
resistance, need too much food and so on, to survive there. But in any
case, as T. E. Merelmans points out, there is more genetic distinction
within races than between them. (Then again, he also stated that he does
a lot of genetic research on Frisians because "you don't have to go back
many generations to find a common ancestor." )

Regards
Andrys Onsman

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

There used to be Sami settlements as far as in southern Scandinavia.  I have
always assumed that many Norwegians and Swedes, especially those of the
north are descendants of a mixture of Germanic and Uralic (Sami and Finnic)
peoples and that also today's "real" Sami are partly descended from people
of Germanic origin.

While Sami is a group of Uralic language varieties, it is not clear if it
was taken to Scandinavia from the Urals and farther east, or if Scandinavia
has long been part of the Uralic language area, later to be "invaded" by
Indo-Europeans.

Vastly differing DNA types have been found among ethnic Sami, two main
types: Western (Caucasoid) and Eastern (Siberian-like).  Some have suggested
that Sami ("Lapp") ought to refer to lifestyle and culture rather than to
genealogy.